Friday, May 6, 2011

Catching up...This post has been in draft mode since Dec of 2010

Well let's see..from reading my last post it seems I'm little on the delinquent side in terms of keeping my blog updated. I have tried, but have failed miserably. So where are the Domino's now. We have moved! Yes, moved for those that aren't in the immediate circle of friends on Facebook. The Domino's uprooted and headed West, Utah to be exact. I know, what could a African American family gain from being in Utah, well besides for the greatest snow on earth,  and great people, Duane is in grad school at Brigham Young University.
 So how do I feel about this, not sure at the moment, the verdict is still out in this area. Don't get me wrong I agreed to do the move, but I didn't realize that the small things in a community really mattered as much, until it's too late. Until your a thousand miles away and praying for one ounce of familiarity to slap you in the face and bring you back to what you called home.  Of course not having my family and friends close by hurts, but I was expecting that. I didn't realize that it's the small things that fill in that picture of what home is. Almost like a picture it's the details that make the picture a master piece.
I yearn for my family, the cider mills, the fire red trees with crisp autumn air, and the Christmas tree farm. I long knowing on a Sunday night I could be guaranteed I would see great friends, drink Diet Coke at work and laugh. That Sunday night would be horrid, but it didn't matter because we would have great war stories  as we worked through the night with call lights, craziness, all the while being slammed with admits. I wish that we were around for the annual 3rd shift pool party summer is coming to a close get together at Larry's. I crave the ponds in our old subdivision with the sounds crickets and fireflies dancing at night.  I miss having 20+ kids at our house hanging out. I hunger for having lunch with my sister. I miss the 1.2 mile drive to work.

I ache for all things that helped make me, well me.

No comments: